Why do senior developers prefer to use big words just to complicate issues

SilverG33kSilverG33k Posts: 52
edited May 2019 in Chats
But why do senior developers prefer to use big words just to complicate issues for we upcoming developers? ?

Comments

• limistahlimistah Posts: 318
    edited January 2019
    It has really become part of them ni.

How best should they call recursion, polymorphism, race-condition, transaction, mutations, explicit and implicit actions, xss, ddos, adapters, etc.

It simply summarizes all they would say in minutes to some seconds. And both sides are clear, except one side is not used to the jargon of the profession
  • SilverG33kSilverG33k Posts: 52
    edited January 2019
    Ahhh... I'm crying, we will get there
    edited January 2019
    I could remember early 2016 I was learning Java and came across the word 'implicitly'. I don't have access to much internet it boiled down in me till I could lay my hands on Google just to discover they are stuffs done automatically. I can not just keep wondering how much ignorant I have felt with that action. So when I come up with a new jargon, I just relate it with the context, if I can not get, I ask the person that used it, and if I can't, then Google comes in.

It's just simply admitting we are students and ready to learn, some words too are new to senior developers sometimes.

Nobody is an island of knowledge, the goal is to keep improving.
  • goodmuyisgoodmuyis Posts: 112
    edited January 2019

I stop learn C++ in 2009 when I encounter the word polymorphism et al in a pdf ebook "Thinking in C++ - by Bjarne Stroustrup". I just start learning C++ on my own after my SSCE. Then I have nobody to advise me not to read a book like that at an early stage of learning. Before then I have been doing some console stuff 

I start using a dictionary but still not making sense. Had to abandon ship before I start to dey kolo. Then I moved to PHP where am trying to find my way out.

The Issue is Nigerian young Programmers like us need mentors/coach, to explain some stuff in simple terms

edited January 2019
    You are right. I am a testimony,. I move so far in a shorter period because I sat side by side with a pro developer.
  • dhtmldhtml Posts: 984
    edited January 2019

I was not so lucky, I had to wad through the MUD on my own, got stuck, had to unstuck myself several times.
    Things were terrible back then, no good internet or online communities to run to when you get stuck.
    No browser console to even help you debug your javaScript, no wamp, xampp or any of those things.

edited January 2019
  • dhtmldhtml Posts: 984

It is because they are complicated people in the first place.

• ensodevensodev Posts: 65

@goodmuyis said:
    I stop learn C++ in 2009 when I encounter the word polymorphism et al in a pdf ebook "Thinking in C++ - by Bjarne Stroustrup". I just start learning C++ on my own after my SSCE. Then I have nobody to advise me not to read a book like that at an early stage of learning. Before then I have been doing some console stuff 

I start using a dictionary but still not making sense. Had to abandon ship before I start to dey kolo. Then I moved to PHP where am trying to find my way out.

The Issue is Nigerian young Programmers like us need mentors/coach, to explain some stuff in simple terms

lol lol lol lol lol lol

• ensodevensodev Posts: 65

my experience was like that of @dhtml, though i have access to few books but no laptop, and nepa show me, i read all i could lay my hand on and alot of things i dont understand and nobody to ask, i went to a computer school that the teacher tech only what he finds in books not what he has practiced or confirmed working, gwbasic programming language was my first language then qbasic to visual basic. i was discourage at some point but i will still pickup as programming is one out of few things i can do without being push to do it. more over what do you expect from an iintrovert like me if programming is not a way to have fun.